Administers, tests, and implements computer databases, applying knowledge of database management systems. Coordinates changes to computer databases. May plan, coordinate, and implement security measures to safeguard computer databases.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Network Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Tests programs or databases, corrects errors, and makes necessary modifications.
- Plans, coordinates and implements security measures to safeguard information in computer files against accidental or unauthorized damage, modification or disclosure.
- Modifies existing databases and database management systems or directs programmers and analysts to make changes.
- Specifies users and user access levels for each segment of database.
- Writes and codes logical and physical database descriptions and specifies identifiers of database to management system or directs others in coding descriptions.
- Works as part of a project team to coordinate database development and determine project scope and limitations.
- Develops standards and guidelines to guide the use and acquisition of software and to protect vulnerable information.
- Develops methods for integrating different products so they work properly together such as customizing commercial databases to fit specific needs.
- Reviews procedures in database management system manuals for making changes to database.
- Revises company definition of data as defined in data dictionary.