Designs or configures wired, wireless, and satellite communications systems for voice, video, and data services. Supervises installation, service, and maintenance.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Network Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Consults with users, administrators, and engineers to identify business and technical requirements for proposed system modifications or technology purchases.
- Implements system renovation projects in collaboration with technical staff, engineering consultants, installers, and vendors.
- Keeps abreast of changes in industry practices and emerging telecommunications technology by reviewing current literature, talking with colleagues, participating in educational programs, attending meetings or workshops, or participating in professional organizations or conferences.
- Reviews and evaluates requests from engineers, managers, and technicians for system modifications.
- Assesses existing facilities' needs for new or modified telecommunications systems.
- Develops, maintains, or implements telecommunications disaster recovery plans to ensure business continuity.
- Communicates with telecommunications vendors to obtain pricing and technical specifications for available hardware, software, or services.
- Documents procedures for hardware and software installation and use.
- Inspects sites to determine physical configuration, such as device locations and conduit pathways.
- Installs, or coordinates installation of, new or modified hardware, software, or programming modules of telecommunications systems.