Analyzes science, engineering, business, and other data processing problems to develop and implement solutions to complex applications problems, system administration issues, or network concerns. Performs systems management and integration functions, improves existing computer systems, and reviews computer system capabilities, workflow, and schedule limitations. May analyze or recommend commercially available software.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Programming and Software Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Tests, maintains, and monitors computer programs and systems, including coordinating the installation of computer programs and systems.
- Troubleshoots program and system malfunctions to restore normal functioning.
- Expands or modifies system to serve new purposes or improve work flow.
- Uses the computer in the analysis and solution of business problems, such as development of integrated production and inventory control and cost analysis systems.
- Consults with management to ensure agreement on system principles.
- Confers with clients regarding the nature of the information processing or computation needs a computer program is to address.
- Coordinates and links the computer systems within an organization to increase compatibility so that information can be shared.
- Trains staff and users to work with computer systems and programs.
- Develops, documents, and revises system design procedures, test procedures, and quality standards.
- Defines the goals of the system and devises flow charts and diagrams describing logical operational steps of programs.