Develops and oversees the implementation of information security procedures and policies. Builds, maintains and upgrades security technology, such as firewalls, for the safe use of computer networks and the transmission and retrieval of information. Designs and implements appropriate security controls to identify vulnerabilities and protect digital files and electronic infrastructures. Monitors and responds to computer security breaches, viruses, and intrusions, and performs forensic investigation. May oversee the assessment of information security systems.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Information Support and Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Assesses the quality of security controls, using performance indicators.
- Conducts investigations of information security breaches to identify vulnerabilities and evaluate the damage.
- Coordinates documentation of computer security or emergency measure policies, procedures, or tests.
- Coordinates monitoring of networks or systems for security breaches or intrusions.
- Coordinates vulnerability assessments or analysis of information security systems.
- Develops information security standards and best practices.
- Develops or implements software tools to assist in the detection, prevention, and analysis of security threats.
- Develops or installs software, such as firewalls and data encryption programs, to protect sensitive information.
- Develops response and recovery strategies for security breaches.
- Identifies or implements solutions to information security problems.