Attends to children at schools, businesses, private households, and childcare institutions. Performs a variety of tasks, such as dressing, feeding, bathing, and overseeing play.
This career is part of the Human Services cluster Early Childhood Development and Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Maintains a safe play environment.
- Observes and monitors children's play activities.
- Communicates with children's parents or guardians about daily activities, behaviors, and related issues.
- Supports children's emotional and social development, encouraging understanding of others and positive self-concepts.
- Cares for children in institutional setting, such as group homes, nursery schools, private businesses, or schools for the handicapped.
- Sanitize toys and play equipment.
- Dresses children and changes diapers.
- Keeps records on individual children, including daily observations and information about activities, meals served, and medications administered.
- Identifies signs of emotional or developmental problems in children and brings them to parents' or guardians' attention.
- Instructs children in health and personal habits, such as eating, resting, and toilet habits.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.