Instructs or coaches groups or individuals in exercise activities. Demonstrates techniques and forms, observes participants, and explains to them corrective measures necessary to improve their skills.
This career is part of the Human Services cluster Personal Care Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Offers alternatives during classes to accommodate different levels of fitness.
- Plans routines, chooses appropriate music, and chooses different movements for each set of muscles, depending on participants' capabilities and limitations.
- Evaluates individuals' abilities, needs, and physical conditions, and develops suitable training programs to meet any special requirements.
- Observes participants and informs them of corrective measures necessary for skill improvement.
- Monitors participants' progress and adapts programs as needed.
- Teaches proper breathing techniques used during physical exertion.
- Instructs participants in maintaining exertion levels to maximize benefits from exercise routines.
- Teaches and demonstrates use of gymnastic and training equipment, such as trampolines and weights.
- Explains and enforces safety rules and regulations governing sports, recreational activities, and the use of exercise equipment.
- Provides students with information and resources regarding nutrition, weight control, and lifestyle issues.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.