Performs variety of tasks during funeral, such as placing casket in parlor or chapel prior to service; arranging floral offerings or lights around casket; directing or escorting mourners; closing casket; and issuing and storing funeral equipment.
This career is part of the Human Services cluster Personal Care Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Greets people at the funeral home.
- Performs a variety of tasks during funerals to assist funeral directors and to ensure that services run smoothly and as planned.
- Transports the deceased to the funeral home.
- Directs or escorts mourners to parlors or chapels in which wakes or funerals are being held.
- Closes caskets at appropriate point in services.
- Attends to the needs of the bereaved, such as by offering comfort, counseling, or after care programs.
- Offers assistance to mourners as they enter or exit limousines.
- Places caskets in parlors or chapels prior to wakes or funerals.
- Cleans and drives funeral vehicles, such as cars or hearses, in funeral processions.
- Carries flowers to hearses or limousines for transportation to places of interment.