Coordinates activities in residential facilities in secondary and college dormitories, group homes, or similar establishments. Orders supplies and determine need for maintenance, repairs, and furnishings. May maintain household records and assign rooms. May assist residents with problem solving or refer them to counseling resources.
This career is part of the Human Services cluster Personal Care Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Communicates with other staff to resolve problems with individual students.
- Observes students to detect and report unusual behavior.
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates residence hall staff, including resident assistants, participants in work-study programs, and other student workers.
- Provides emergency first aid and summons medical assistance when necessary.
- Makes regular rounds to ensure that residents and areas are safe and secure.
- Mediates interpersonal problems between residents.
- Enforces rules and regulations to ensure the smooth and orderly operation of dormitory programs.
- Determines the need for facility maintenance and repair, and notifies appropriate personnel.
- Collaborates with counselors to develop counseling programs that address the needs of individual students.
- Develops and coordinates educational programs for residents.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.